July 1, 2008

Oh the text book hippie man!

'Allo my 2 fans! We'll grow, I'll just throw water and sunlight at my computer screen......just wait.

OK, so today we have a very interesting guy by the name of Ben Folds. I actually discovered him by looking through one of those celebrity playlists on iTunes.

This artist doesn't use a large variety of instruments like my previous features. His main thing is the piano, which he is extremely talented in. Of course, the standard guitars, drums, and bass is used eventually. There's a hint of a symphony in one of the songs.

The album of the day is Rockin' the Suburbs, released in 2001. There are two songs from this record I would like to focus on.

The first song I listened to was The Ascent of Stan. The piano riff in the beginning absolutely amazing. I don't know how people can play that fast with so many different notes.....
It's a very original song, changing pace and mood smoothly. The lyrics don't make 100% sense, but it's a rarity when they do anyway. There's a great beat to it that makes you excited to listen and it helps you 'have fun' with the song. It has that Mozart effect, making you feel smarter after listening to it.

The next one is named The Luckiest. This one is a little more morose. His singing and strings in the background are what really makes the melody. The slow piano contributes to the mood. The sound of his obvious sadness mixed in with the symphony feels like a sad part in a Disney movie, which might make you feel sad yourself. Nonetheless, it's a great song to listen to when you want to calm down and think about life. Or if you just want to listen to pretty music, it's good for that too. :)

He is available on iTunes, so I recommend both of these songs. There's a couple on the album that I'm not a huge fan of, but if you have time, check them out. Everyone has a different taste.

Here's his website.

If you're looking for biographical info, then try Wikipedia.

Sorry it's a little short today!

I have a few maybes for tomorrow. So get ready!

Comments=happiness

No comments: